AIR’s Engagement Strategist (ES) advances our mission, strengthens our national/international network, and builds relationships key to spreading the message and mission of AIR. The work focuses on widely dispersed platforms of engagement via the social web, traditional mailing campaigns, point-to-point contact with industry press contacts, and live events and conference activities. This position also oversees strategies for mobilizing the network of AIR’s regional “nodes” across the U.S. and worldwide.
The ideal candidate has aptitude in social organizing, demonstrated skill in promotional writing, and experience working with visual design. They have established commitment to and success in building a culture of inclusivity. They are charismatic and fiercely mission-focused. Familiarity with public media and the culture of independent talent is also essential. Travel is required (up to 15 percent).
- Develops annual social action strategy aligned with the vision and objectives of AIR and the CEO; sets clear and measurable benchmarks for success, including approaches designed to activate and build AIR’s network of regional groups and influential talent;
- Broadens inclusivity across AIR’s network in measurable ways with strategies designed to identify and engage new pockets of talent;
- Creates annual roadmap for industry events, conferences aligned with programming and network objectives;
- Develops discrete strategy for local engagement and activity;
- Cultivates relationships with strong and engaged presence on various industry and AIR/talent Listservs;
- Prepares and delivers periodic (monthly) engagement performance reports to CEO and COO;
- Serves as main point of contact for designers engaged in developing AIR’s visual footprint, messaging/branding, and style;
- Programs and coordinates online presentations, tapping AIR’s brain trust, and drawing on thought-leaders and experts who will enhance the professional knowledge and craft of AIR’s talent network.
- Coordinates AIR’s annual network survey: engages CEO, COO, staff, and outside advisors; coordinates with outside/hired consultant to ensure timeliness; develops strategy for spreading findings.
Compensation: Pay is commensurate with experience and skills brought by the right candidate. AIR is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. AIR is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic organization and strongly encourages those from underrepresented groups to apply.
- 3+ years of community engagement experience as a reporter, organizer, or equivalent;
- Knowledge of journalistic principals, ethics, and standards;
- Passion for mission-driven journalism;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, at minimum;
- Flexible, adaptive problem-solving abilities to suit a growing, changing organization;
- Cultural competence, emotional maturity, and ability to work successfully with diverse groups.